Generally, seed-to-sale software is the standard method of tracking within the cannabis industry. These seed to sale tracking programs provide a practical method for inventory control from start to finish.
Also, in states where government regulators and law enforcement agencies require tracking for compliance purposes, these software solutions offer an effective solution. Tracking systems create traceability, which prevents illegal cannabis diversion/inversion and simplifies the process of a state government collecting taxes on products sold.
In the eyes of regulators, the following are viewed as key stages of seed to sale tracking:
- Cultivation: Where proper regulations and quality standards met during the maturation phase of every cannabis plants’ life?
- Harvest: Where all cannabis components correctly identified and batched during harvest?
- Testing: Was adequate third-party testing conducted to ensure that the cannabis was free from harmful chemicals and contaminants? Are there lab reports to support the advertised potency level?
- Transportation: Did the cannabis transportation process begin and end with the same amount of product?
- Point-of-sale: Can a clear chain of custody be established between the plant’s origin and the patients/customers that purchase the final product?
Innovations in the software industry, combined with the demands of the cannabis marketplace, have led to the creation of many outstanding options that address cannabis plant product quality and safety alongside regulatory compliance.